SAUBER

  • Formula One: Small teams seek Abu Dhabi talks with Ecclestone November 18, 2014

    Formula One's smaller teams have written to Bernie Ecclestone to press demands for a bigger share of the sport's considerable revenues. Force India deputy principal Bob Fernley told Reuters a letter had been sent on Monday to commercial supremo Ecclestone seeking a meeting at this weekend's season-ending race in Abu...
  • Formula One money and engine talks stall November 9, 2014

    Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone will meet commercial rights holders CVC in London next week after talks with teams in Brazil on Saturday produced no agreement on giving smaller outfits more money to help them survive. A separate meeting with manufacturers on the possibility of relaxing an engine 'freeze' for next...
  • F1: Adrian Sutil casts doubt on Sauber's future November 6, 2014

    Unhappy German driver Adrian Sutil cast doubt on Sauber's Formula One future on Thursday, a day after the Swiss team threw his career into question by announcing a new lineup for 2015. "There are certain things to talk about, definitely," he told reporters at the Brazilian Grand Prix. "I mean, they have...
  • Sauber sign Brazilian driver Felipe Nasr for 2015 November 6, 2014

    Sauber say they have signed 22-year-old Brazilian driver Felipe Nasr for the 2015 Formula One season. Nasr will join Marcus Ericsson of Sweden, who signed with the team earlier this week. They will replace Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez, who have yet to win a point this season. Nasr has been a...
  • Formula One: Sauber sign Marcus Ericsson to drive in 2015 November 2, 2014

    Formula One team Sauber announced on Saturday driver Marcus Ericsson will join them for 2015, picking him up after the financial collapse of team Caterham. Signing Ericsson means Sauber will drop either Adrian Sutil or Esteban Gutierrez. Sauber said they will announce their second driver at a later date. Ericsson was in...
  • Formula One strugglers still targeting 2015 participation September 20, 2014

    As speculation grows about the imminent exit of three struggling teams from Formula One, two of the underpressure outfits have said they intend to still be in the sport in 2015. Sauber, Caterham and Marussia are struggling both on and off the track in the vastly expensive sport, with many predicting...
  • Formula One: Gutierrez gets 10place Silverstone grid penalty June 23, 2014

    Formula One's governing body handed Sauber driver Esteban Gutierrez a 10place grid penalty for the British Grand Prix on July 6 after a socalled unsafe release from the pits at the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday. Gutierrez went back onto the pitlane after his first stop while his mechanics were still...
  • Simona de Silvestro completes first day of F1 testing April 27, 2014

    Simona de Silvestro moved a step closer to achieving her dream of competing in Formula One next year after a first day of incar testing with Sauber. The Swiss driver completed 112 laps in a twoyearold Sauber C31 at Ferrari's Fiorano Circuit in northern Italy. "Although it's something very special to drive...
  • Formula One drivers in talks to resolve pay disputes April 18, 2014

    Shanghai: Formula One drivers are in talks collectively to try and resolve the issue of unpaid wages but they have ruled out going on strike, some of those affected said on Thursday. Force India's Nico Hulkenberg, who was at financially-troubled Sauber last season and had problems with his salary, said the...
  • Pastor Maldonado clears the air with Gutierrez after Bahrain GP crash April 17, 2014

    Lotus Formula One driver Pastor Maldonado has cleared the air with Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez after picking up a grid penalty for sending the Mexican flying at the Bahrain Grand Prix. The Venezuelan refused to take the blame for the incident, however, and told reporters in China on Thursday that the spectacular...
  • Maldonado handed grid penalty for Chinese GP April 7, 2014

    Pastor Maldonado will carry a five-place grid penalty into the Chinese Grand Prix after the Venezuelan speared his Lotus into the side of Esteban Gutierrez's Sauber in Sunday's floodlit race in Bahrain. Gutierrez literally did not know what had hit him after the Mexican's car was flipped abruptly in the air...
  • Sutil to start at back of F1 grid in Bahrain April 6, 2014

    Manama: Sauber's Adrian Sutil was relegated to the back of the Bahrain Grand Prix starting grid on Saturday for forcing Romain Grosjean's Lotus off the road in qualifying. Race stewards handed the German a five place drop from his 18th place, as well as two licence-style penalty points, for the incident. Grosjean...
  • Bahrain race will be thirsty work for Adrian Sutil April 4, 2014

    Adrian Sutil will be racing in the Bahrain desert without a drop to drink on Sunday after deciding to remove the water bottle from his Sauber Formula One car in a bid to shave off weight wherever he can. The German is one of the biggest drivers on the starting grid...
  • Sauber name Simona de Silvestro affiliated driver February 14, 2014

    Hinwil, Switzerland: Simona de Silvestro will be an affiliated driver with Sauber this year with a goal of competing for a Formula One seat in 2015. "Simona's ambition is to enter Formula One in 2015," Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said on Friday. "We regard her as a very talented race...
  • Lotus boss expects more teams to miss first F1 test January 9, 2014

    London: Lotus will not be the only team to miss Formula One's first preseason test in Spain this month, principal Eric Boullier said on Thursday. Lotus, who finished fourth overall last year despite financial difficulties, announced this week that they would skip the Jerez test starting on January 28 because their...
  • Sauber retain Gutierrez for 2014 F1 season December 21, 2013

    Hinwil: Mexican driver Esteban Gutierrez will stay with Sauber for his second Formula 1 season, the Swiss team announced on Saturday. Gutierrez signing was completed a week after Sauber brought the experienced Adrian Sutil from Force India. The extension given to the 22yearold means there will two Mexican drivers on the...
  • Adrian Sutil to drive for Sauber in 2014 December 13, 2013

    Hinwil, Switzerland: Adrian Sutil will drive for Sauber next year in Formula One. Sauber made the announcement on Friday, one day after Sutil lost his place at Force India, which went to Sergio Perez. The German driver had driven for Force India since 2008, with a break in 2012. Sutil said...
  • Nico Hulkenberg rejoins Sahara Force India December 3, 2013

    Silverstone: German driver Nico Hulkenberg will return to Sahara Force India in the Formula One Championships next year after agreeing a multiyear deal, the F1 team said on Tuesday. Hulkenberg raced for Sahara Force India in 2012 before moving to Sauber this season. "Sahara Force India is delighted to confirm that Nico...
  • Monisha Kaltenborn questions lack of support to Indian GP October 25, 2013

    Greater Noida: Indiaborn Monisha Kaltenborn, the first woman team principal, says the F1 world can cope with the administrative redtapism in India but she is flummoxed by the lack of support the race is getting in this country. Customs, visa and bureaucratic problems have been some of the major issues. Recently...
  • Force India admit Sauber catching up fast October 21, 2013

    New Delhi: Force India are looking to start afresh in the upcoming Indian Grand Prix this weekend, fully aware of the uphill task at hands of keeping rival Sauber behind in the Constructors' Championship standings, as the 2013 Formula One season draws to a conclusion with the final four races. Sauber...
  • Talented Gutierrez finally makes his point in Japanese GP October 14, 2013

    Suzuka: Mexican Esteban Gutierrez was a talent waiting to explode and Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix vindicated Sauber's faith in him with his first points in Formula One, according to team principal Monisha Kaltenborn. The first rookie to appear on the scoresheets this season, at the 15th attempt, Gutierrez made his breakthrough...
  • Nico Hulkenberg's 4th place in Korea a boon for Sauber October 6, 2013

    Yeongam: Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg equaled his careerbest performance with a fourthplace finish at Sunday's Korean Grand Prix, in a result that could make millions of dollars difference to the financially strapped team. Hulkenberg put in a superb defensive drive over the closing stages of the race holding off world champions...
  • Sauber rule out Rubens Barrichello for race seat October 5, 2013

    Yeongam: Brazilian Rubens Barrichello has no chance of making a Formula One comeback with Sauber, team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said on Saturday. The 41yearold former Ferrari driver, who has started more races than anyone in Formula One history and won 11 of them, reluctantly left the sport in 2011 when he...
  • Sauber extends engine contract with Ferrari October 4, 2013

    Yeongam: Formula One team Sauber says it has extended its enginesupply contract with Ferrari, providing a smooth transition into a 2014 season when the series will switch to V6 turbo engines. Sauber did not specify on Friday the length of the new deal which covers engine, gearbox and the KERS...
  • Hulkenberg surprises himself after qualifying 3rd September 7, 2013

    Monza: Nico Hulkenberg surprised himself and his Sauber team after qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix in third place on Saturday. While Red Bull's 1-2 front row of championship leader Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber hardly caused a stir, not many observers tipped Hulkenberg to finish just behind them on a...
  • Sauber to give Sergey Sirotkin first taste of F1 in Sochi August 21, 2013

    Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin will make his first appearance in a Sauber Formula One car at a demonstration event in Sochi next month, a spokesman for the Swissbased team said on Wednesday. Sauber have agreed to prepare the youngster, who turns 18 this month, for a race seat next year...
  • Esteban Gutierrez will score points in 2013, says Monisha Kaltenborn August 10, 2013

    Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn is confident Esteban Gutierrez is capable of scoring his first points in Formula One for the Swiss squad by the end of the season. The 22yearold Gutierrez is yet to finish in the points and has an 11thplace finish as his best result in the season....
  • Sauber to keep control despite Russian deal July 27, 2013

    Budapest: Sauber's new trio of Russian partners will put the financiallytroubled Swiss Formula One team on a solid footing without taking control of it, principal Monisha Kaltenborn said on Saturday. "The structure of the ownership of the team is not going to change," she told reporters at the Hungarian Grand...
  • Sauber's Russian recruit raises eyebrows July 26, 2013

    Budapest: Sauber's plan to fasttrack Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin into Formula One has raised eyebrows among those drivers who set youth records themselves as well as rivals envious of the cash that seemingly comes with him. The financiallytroubled Swiss team announced last week that they would prepare the youngster, who is...
  • Nico Hulkenberg laughs off rumours he could quit Sauber July 25, 2013

    Budapest: Nico Hulkenberg laughed off speculation on Thursday that this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix could be his last for Sauber but remained coy about whether he had been paid by the Swiss Formula One team. "It's rubbish," the German driver told reporters of rumours swirling around on the internet that he...