New Delhi: Delhi commuters are having a second consecutive tough day, with most Blue Line buses staying off roads.
Only 850 of the city’s 3, 500 privately owned Blue Lines buses were allowed to operate on Monday.
Delhi's Transport Minister has told CNN-IBN that a thousand Blue Lines will ply on Tuesday.
The buses came under the scanner after a string of fatal accidents in the last month. Over 60 people have died this year in accidents involving Blue Line buses. Delhi has around 2, 800 government buses.
Delhiites also had a tough time on Saturday as all Blue Line buses were taken off roads for the weekend.
Commuters clearly felt the heat as it meant long hours of waiting at the bus stop and DTC buses were jam-packed.
The Blue Lines were ordered not to ply during the weekend by the state government after a spate of accidents in the past.
Time was utilised to check the breaking systems, authorisation papers and speed governors on 4000 private Blue Line buses.
The Delhi transport Corporation had deployed around 200 of its staff at 34 depots to facilitate this.
Said motor licensing officer, south zone, A R Joshi, “We are taking all steps to make sure that Blue Line buses become safe.