Manchester United have signed Argentina midfielder Di Maria from Real Madrid for a British-record fee of 59.7 million pounds.
Everton have been boosted with the signing of Cameroon's seasoned striker Samuel Eto'o, who was a free agent after leaving Chelsea at the end of last season.
Manchester United's early season problems were compounded by a humiliating 4-0 loss to third-tier Milton Keynes Dons in the League Cup second round.
- The experienced Van Gaal has yet to fashion a win during his three competitive matches in charge of United this season.
- Manchester United smashed the British transfer record when they signed Argentina winger Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid for 59.7 million pounds on Tuesday.
- Manolas is an immediate replacement for Morocco defender Mehdi Benatia, whom Roma sold to Bayern Munich in a deal reported at €26 million ($34 million).
- Lampard has scored 29 goals in 106 appearances, with his last appearance coming at the World Cup in June.
- Jovetic scored twice and Aguero netted seconds after coming on as a substitute as City beat defeated Liverpool in the first blockbuster game of the season.
- Ronaldo scored from long range to seal Real Madrid's 2-0 victory over the promoted Cordoba as the European champions made a winning start to the Spanish league.
- Liverpool's current squad is filled with youthful exuberance and attacking vigour as well as a genuine sense of togetherness.
- Diego Simeone was sent off for a vehement protest that included tapping an assistant referee on the head during the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup.