Barcelona got the better of City in last season's Champions League round of 16, winning 2-0 in Manchester and 2-1 at the Camp Nou.
Mata was unable to help his new club finish any higher than seventh after their disappointing season under David Moyes.
- Sergio Aguero vows to win Champions League with Manchester City
Argentinian striker Aguero has vowed to stay at the club until they are crowned European champions.
- Lionel Messi masterclass papers over Barca cracks
Messi equaled the Champions League scoring record against Ajax but doubts remain over Enrique's Barcelona side after a stuttering start to the season.
- Cavani sends PSG through to Champions League last 16
Cavani's early goal helped Paris St Germain secure their place in the Champions League last 16 with two games to spare after a 1-0 home win over APOEL.
"Football can be a cruel game, but there's nothing we can do about it. I think we're on the right track," said Mancini.
- "You don't win two Premier League titles in 3 years easily. We have resolve, character and fantastic players. Add that together and you've got a chance," Pellegrini said.
- Defending champion Real Madrid will play Schalke in the last-16 of the Champions League, after routing the Germans at the same stage last season.
- "We have to cope with that (criticism), we are professional footballers. I am a competitive person. What is important is the next game," Wenger said.