The FA Cup final has been restored to its traditional place as the last match of the English football season, with the showpiece occasion having had to share the spotlight with Premier League fixtures in recent years.
New Red Devils boss David Moyes has been a long-term admirer of the midfielder.
Chelsea will open their campaign against newly-promoted Hull at Stamford Bridge.
- Chelsea have reportedly shown their interest in Alonso, who will be out of contract at the Bernabeu at the end of next season.
- Barcelona defender Carles Puyol has successfully undergone surgery to treat a painful swelling in his right knee.
- Guardiola will address media as Bayern's head coach next Monday, before overseeing his first two training sessions the following Wednesday and Thursday.
- The 22-year-old Barca academy graduate, whose contract runs until June 2015, is being groomed as the successor to Xavi in central midfield.
- Llambias resigned on Wednesday, the day after Joe Kinnear's controversial return to the Premier League club as director of football.
- A deal is reportedly all but agreed, one that will cost the Blues around 58 million euros.
- Fabio Capello is set to replace Carlo Ancelotti at Paris Saint-Germain's helm.
- The Italian, who was No. 2 to compatriot Fabio Capello with England, quit his role as general director at Serie A side Roma this month.
- Thiago Alcantara scored a first-half hat trick as Spain turned on the style to beat Italy 4-2.