United confirmed they had signed Colombian striker Falcao on a one-year loan deal from Monaco after the transfer window closed on Monday.
Aston Villa have taken Cleverley on a season-long loan from United, completing the deal a day after the closing of the summer transfer window.
Manchester United spent almost 150 million pounds in the last few weeks, dressing the likes of Angel di Maria, Marcos Rojo and Falcao in red shirts.
- Spain defender Cesar Azpilicueta has signed a new five-year deal with Chelsea.
- United dominated Europe's transfer activity as the transfer deadline window slammed shut on Monday, Van Gaal taking his summer spending spree to more than 150 million pounds.
- Bastian Schweinsteiger has been named Germany captain to replace the retired Philipp Lahm.
- Barcelona say German goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has been cleared to make his debut for the club after recovering from a back injury.
- Brazilian great Zico has been signed to coach Goa in the new eight-team Indian Super League next month.
- The world's two richest clubs by income again spent big, with Barca's signings including Suarez for 81.25 million euros and Rakitic for around 20 million.
- Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has also been ruled out of Wednesday's game with an ankle problem.
- Arsenal confirmed they had signed England forward Danny Welbeck to a long-term deal from Premier League rivals Manchester United as the transfer window closed on Monday.
- United completed the signing of versatile Netherlands international Daley Blind from Ajax on Monday for 14 million pounds.