Villarreal roared back from a two-goal deficit to rout Rayo Vallecano 4-2 while, Almeria hung on for a wild 2-1 win at Real Sociedad.
Cristiano Ronaldo struck a hat-trick as Real Madrid produced a stunning 8-2 demolition of Deportivo La Coruna in La Liga.
- Barcelona midfielder Sergi Roberto extends contract
Roberto will put pen to paper on his new deal on September 26 with a buyout clause worth €40 million.
- Casillas's fall from grace highlights divisions at Real Madrid
Born and bred in the Spanish capital and a product of the club's academy, Casillas has been singled out by some supporters following a stuttering start to La Liga.
- Real Madrid - minor blips or serious signs?
Three games into the latest Spanish campaign, six points adrift of leaders Barcelona, it looks all but rosy for president Perez''s army.
Messi shrugged off a missed penalty and another injury to Neymar by scoring one goal and setting up two more to lead Barcelona to a 5-0 rout at 10-man Levante.
- Varene arrived at Real Madrid from Lens in the summer of 2011 for 10 million euros and broke into the first team at the end of the 2011-12 campaign.
- Three games into the latest Spanish campaign, six points adrift of leaders Barcelona, it looks all but rosy for president Perez''s army.
- Ancelotti insisted that his star-laden side needs to find a balance between attack and defence as they were again humbled by local rivals Atletico Madrid 2-1 on Saturday.
- Roberto will put pen to paper on his new deal on September 26 with a buyout clause worth €40 million.
- Rodriguez's goal in Real's thumping 5-1 Champions League win against FC Basel has suggested he may be finding his feet at his new club.
- Atletico won 2-1 at Real Madrid in the Spanish league to take a small measure of revenge for last season's loss of the European Cup to their crosstown rival.
- Valencia eased by Espanyol 3-1 at home on Sunday to remain unbeaten in the Spanish league under new coach Nuno Espirito Santo.
- Neymar came on as a substitute to score twice from passes by Lionel Messi and give Barcelona a 2-0 win at home over Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish league.